You are right that 1 and 3 relatively simple to do.

Putting this in a tiddler will do 1 and 3:

<$list filter='[<currentTiddler>backlinks[]tag[journal]]'>

</$list>

<currentTiddler> says to use the current tiddler as your input, you can
change this to something like [DnD] to make it for the DnD tiddler instead
of the tiddler where you put the code.

backlinks[] gives all tiddlers that have links to the input tiddler (so
this covers 1)

tag[journal] only keeps tiddlers tagged journal (so this covers 3)

In order to make 2 work requires a new filter operator. It may not be too
hard to make because it would hopefully be a modified version of backlinks
but I don't know how backlinks works so I am not sure how difficult it
would be.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/037287e8-201a-49d3-a33e-a28aaa127f07%40googlegroups.com.