I think I have narrowed this down.
I get an internal javascript error in TiddlyDesktop if I try to save
(manually or automatically) a file where the filename or filepath includes
a Greek character (I live in Greece). This may be something to do with how
the browser TiddlyDesktop uses internally handles Unicode file paths or
file names.
Again, in Firefox there is no problem.

Does that sound like a plausible hypothesis?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/76aee55d-9f12-4f0d-9321-0b165482c3d5%40googlegroups.com.