Hello all,

A lot of TW5's powerful capabilities stem from the fantastic contributions
of community members. Code is valuable and therefore we all require written
permissions from authors that allows all of us to not just use plugins and
core code, but also to remix, adapt and repackage, or even sell, legally.

Most plugins for TW5 have a proper license included that specifies what we
can and/or cannot do with the given code. There are many types of licenses
for different purposes. Thankfully, you do not need to get a lawyer to
write one; BSD, GPL, MIT and Apache templates are available online for
free. Just copy and paste it into your plugin/theme.

Unfortunately, a lot of TW5 plugins exist out there that do not have a
proper license. Some of them accomplish really useful tasks but would take
a lot of time to replicate (plus there would be no way of ascertaining
whether it is an original work or not legally speaking).

This leaves a lot of developers and plugin authors helpless because we do
not want to step on anyone's toes so to speak. We want to build and give
credit where credit is due.

If you're a plugin author, consider finding your plugin and adding a license
now <https://choosealicense.com/licenses/>. You'd be doing everyone here a
solid.

Thanks for listening to this PSA. Cheers.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/ed6e1b3d-a851-449e-8e7f-8b3a76668587%40googlegroups.com.