Ciao Josiah,

> Eeek! Loss of keyboard! :-) And there I was researching character sets :-)
> FYI Re on-screen keyboards I responded to PMario's negative comments on
> GitHub here: https://github.com/Jermolene/TiddlyWiki5/issues/3111
> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2FJermolene%2FTiddlyWiki5%2Fissues%2F3111&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGoBFs87SnCAkwg5i65OSMmqwN9Cg>

oh no creativity there .... I'm playing around, come on  :D
but that's no problem, I make concepts which not always make sense but I
explore them anyway

It's still also a keyboard like the first design was!
You just add a tiddler tagged $:/tags/EntryPanel and populate it with how
many characters you want, there's no limit

> This is very different but interesting & useful too.
>
> Maybe when you iterate it next you might want to start a newly titled
> thread because the title of this thread is misleading. This is an
> editor-bar mod, not a keyboard?

I will do when the design is settled

> I looked and played ... A few comments ...
>
> _DOWNSIDES_ (Current)
>
> POSITIONING: The gadget currently scrolls off-screen if you working and
> moving around in a long Tiddler (Firefox 52, Win64. Chrome latest Win).
> That kinda defeats the objective?

klicking the right or left space hides it and clicking again brings it back
where you clicked - so if it scrolls off screen you don't have to search
for it, just click it back

> PERFORMANCE: If you have a VERY long Tiddler, like novel length, the
> performance is bad. Its okay for first invoke but not if need to re-invoke
> it a lot. That is likely to do with big Tiddlers not the gadget per se but
> it is a practical issue.

hm, I'll have to try that out - are you using firefox?

> DESIGN: Visual position: I can't really see the advantage over a normal
> editor bar that was "sticky". IMO design-wise an editor bar that stays
> visible position at the TOP of the Tiddler as you scroll down (i.e. the
> Tiddler content scrolls under it and goes offscreen, but the bar remains in
> position) is an adequate solution that functionally extends TW. ALSO the
> right-hand positioning of the normal controls I think will be difficult to
> make work universally. It eats screen estate and currently conflicts with
> other settings like some side-bar widths (ask if you need more info on
> this).

that's true. if it's only for the bar then a sticky bar on top would do it.

I like my approach more for having the fields, tags and type input fields
accessible anywhere

> SCOPE: I think there is an issue, a kinda conflict, between what it can
> give access to and the scope of an edit bar. To open that up ... take the
> example of Emojis ... there are dozens of them. Is it limited to one line?
> Say it could show 3 lines of Emojis, how might that impact the line being
> edited? Would it get hidden? I guess that opening a tab with multiple lines
> of symbols could be set to close after you selected on item?

No limit for how many emojis you want to add - only the number of available
emojis
Have you seen that the panel can be shown at the right side of tiddlers?
There's a Settings tab

> FYI, in design terms I was interested in the "Keyboard" because it gave
> access to potentially hundreds of items. This, I think, maybe can't work so
> easily that way?

This still works the same way

> _MAJOR UPSIDE ++_
>
> VISUAL INPUT: It gives a rich way to do what the Stamp tool does but in a
> visually direct way. That is a real upside. Particularly for character sets
> (I was thinking particularly of MINIMAL VARIANT CHARACTERS for European
> languages ... For instance, on standard Italian keyboards "@" "#" require
> special AltGr shifts, "tilde" is non-existent, and most irritating "curly
> brackets" are missing too) . Having such characters available on one click
> makes great sense for practical editing.
>
> Hope this does not come over as negative. Its not meant to be. I think its
> a very interesting and potentially useful way with the editor.

No this is good! I'm not decided about how this should look like from
design aspects. I can't say that I like how it looks :D
I'm playing around to see how this can add functionality and if it's worth
something

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4411faca-eb7e-4ad4-a3cf-514214e6e273%40googlegroups.com.