*Background color by tag*:
See https://tiddlywiki.com/#How%20to%20apply%20custom%20styles%20by%20tag

*Buttons on tagged tiddlers*.  You're going to want to use a ViewTemplate.
A ViewTemplate is a tiddler tagged with $:/tags/ViewTemplate.  It gets used
as a template for every tiddler in the story river, so you probably want to
start it with something like
<$list filter="[is[current]tag[Now]]">
...button code goes here...
</$list>

*Buttons that add and remove tags*.  You're probably going to want to use
action widgets.  Something along the line of
<$button>
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-add-tag" $param="Later" />
<$action-sendmessage $message="tm-remove-tag" $param="Now" />
Move to Later
</$button>
Refer to  https://tiddlywiki.com/#ActionSendMessageWidget
and https://tiddlywiki.com/#Messages for more info about that.