Ciao Greg

Thanks for that and the download of the skeleton. Its really useful
background and confirms my limited experience so far.

IMO getting TiddlyDesktop running portably (enough) is, I think, Step 1.
Step 2 could be doing a PortableApps.com version.

Need some way to specify put in PAc's Data folder ...

I managed to get the App Settings directory in a portable place on Windows
PC (a sub-dir of the install) by a command line @Jermolene suggested ... To
get this to work you need ensure that the "current directory" is the same
as the directory where nw.exe is when you run it.

nw.exe --user-data-dir=.\data

This gives basic portability to the APP.

Also the TiddlyDesktop config seemed to hard code the drive letter, in
> settings, so if moved USB and got different drive letter it wouldn't work.

Right. That first step on settings above doesn't portabilise the wikis
which are located, by default, at absolute paths. That is understandable if
TW is just on one desktop...

... But its an issue if you want to be able to take wikis with you set up
correctly to use on a pen drive. Its also an issue if one wants to create
"packages" of TiddlyDesktop with a TW that will install correctly anywhere.
For both cases you need relative paths in the TW settings.

I looked at the settings files and could not figure out if you could
manually edit the paths for relative links. I guess the easiest would be to
ask Jeremy Ruston about that.

As for TiddlyDesktop as a PAc App, it would be for making or editing
> TiddlyWikis. LibreOffice makes "Word" docs or spreadsheets, GIMP makes or
> edits pictures, Blender makes 3D models. Apps mostly make or edit something
> else, the only possible limitation is finding an audience that wants to use
> the App.

Right, I think there is great attraction in having it as ONE generic tool.
On the other hand its an added step to get anything into it. So for some
situations a finished product that includes a wiki could also be attractive
(for instance a music editor that holds a thousand tunes). But, maybe, if a
"packaged" approach took off auto-download and install of variant TW could
be integrated?

---

BTW, Jed's TiddlyWiki-MultiUser (.tid file server) is now easily able to be
made portable (see previous comments in this thread). I haven't looked at
TiddlyServer, but assume could be made portable as easily, if it isn't
already.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/77b6eac9-e340-474a-8121-44d1698c3fb6%40googlegroups.com.