Folks,

Perhaps this answer is already in my mind but I wish to state it succinctly
and see if a more experienced TiddlyWiki Fan can state a simple answer.
Question contained within the examples

*Case 1. Standard behaviour and use*
<$list filter="a filter">
Allows {{!!fieldname}} references including {{!!title}} and
<<currentTiddler>> changes with each title in the <$list
Can no longer access the Calling Tiddlers values with {{!!fieldname}}
references including {{!!title}}
</$list>

*Case 2. Retain access to the calling tiddler *
<$list filter="a filter" variable=mytitle>
Allows {{!!fieldname}} references including {{!!title}} and
<<currentTiddler>> will not change, ie uses the tiddlers values where the
list is called.
Refer to title as <<mytitle>>
</$list>

*Note:*
In the above two cases the field references of the form {{!!fieldname}}
change from the calling to the listed tiddler

*Question*
In the cases above what is the* best way t*o access the values of the
calling or listed tiddlers fields?

Case 1. Reference the fields of tiddler who's title is available in the
calling tiddler
Case 2. Reference the fields of tiddler who's title is available in the
<<mytitle>>

Of course an added complication is when you want to use the title or field
name and value in widgets, filters, variables within these <$lists we need
to use alternate ways to reference said field values. Thus it It gets
awfully complex quickly and it is taking a lot of time for me to deeply
learn this.

What do I need to know so I do not have to research how every time to use
the correct reference method?

Here is a method I use that others may want to know.

*My Special use case of a variable I do not use for logical (display or
dont display contents)*
<$list filter="a filter" variable=null>
Allows {{!!fieldname}} references including {{!!title}} and
<<currentTiddler>> will not change, ie uses the tiddlers values where the
<$list is called.
Useful for cases where the filter is simply a test as to determine if the
content is displayed,
Tend not to use <<null>>
Can add to the filter limit[1] if the filter can result in more than one
value.
</$list>
You can nest multiple lists all with the variable null
A Common filter seems to be "[is[current]<fieldname>] -[[no]]" to display
if fieldname has a value of "yes"

Thanks in advance
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/b6f19a69-9775-4975-b9eb-7177fed8ce27%40googlegroups.com.