The motivation for adding the accessKey attribute to the button and link
widgets is that it is a standard HTML5 feature, and we're just passing the
attribute through. (I can't find any references to the attribute being dropped
from the standard).

The differences between browsers are sufficiently frustrating that I don't
propose to use the accessKey attribute in the core UI. If we want global
keyboard shortcuts we'll need to do it properly: a new startup module that
listens to key events on the document, reusing the existing keyboard shortcuts
pane in the control panel.

Best wishes

Jeremy

--