I'm a little confused, although I may just be misunderstanding you.

nw.js is NOT node. It is a combination of Node and WebKit. Only
TiddlyDesktop uses nw.js. Electron (which you didn't mention here) works
very similar to nw.js, but it is designed differently under the hood.
TiddlyDesktop could also be built on Electron, but it isn't.

TiddlyServer and Bob both use straight Node. Either of them would be able
to run on nw.js (with a little fiddling) or Electron (possibly without any
changes, because of Electron's design), but neither of them would actually
have any use for the browser component. So they both just run on straight
Node.

In short, nw.js and Electron are both programs that combine Node and
WebKit. The way they do it is very different, but that doesn't matter here.
If a program (like TiddlyDesktop) needs WebKit, it will use one of those
two, otherwise, it will just use NodeJS from NodeJS.org.

Hope that explains it.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/CAJ1vdSRmTn-TBBwe9AWSEsk%3D0_VzbLNX5R9C%3Dwa%2BKOLzmC3YiA%40mail.gmail.com.