If you change the TYpe: to text/x-markdown, the monospaced button surrounds
the text with a single quote, and you get the "inline" style formatting.

Manually surrounding with backticks still gives "inline" style formatting,
with an extra "inline" character (white background only, no text) above the
line of code. (That may be hard to follow, but I don't know how to show it.
I guess I could attach a screen shot if it would help.)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e9b307b6-6c8d-4aa1-bce4-6d1b98ca0f2a%40googlegroups.com.