Jed,

Perhaps the code in the startup modul could process a "refresh queue". Ie
if tiddler a b and C displayed in the story river refresh at each interval,
ideally those with a specific tag or field name.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/249eb835-450a-4b98-9cb8-3c1e2a716b33%40googlegroups.com.