A small thing to note is that some people will use $ for their currency
symbol. If you make single-$ a delimiter, then writing about money is made
more difficult.
I have this issue in a TWc that contains a lot of mathematical notation. I
ended up having to define "\dollar" as a dollar sign, $, so that I could
write a single dollar sign using Latex as "$\dollar$".

Cheers
Andrew Mc

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/3647826d-bd15-4365-a45b-da6035899a2c%40googlegroups.com.