One simple reason why you won't get exact threading is that when folk reply
they don't necessarily reply in strict thread order.

For instance, I quite often reply to the starting post even though I am
also responding to sub-threads.

This happens because the way we respond here can't be always be neat. Its
more like you have a broad topic and replies may occur different places in
threading.

Best wishes
Josiah

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/f61b683e-c779-4fa1-8ef3-558109f8567d%40googlegroups.com.