If you're running 5.1.19 you can pass a couple of parameters to the
starting command and it works as you describe.

https://tiddlywiki.com/#WebServer%20Basic%20Authentication

For example, this works well on my server (although I use a file with
usernames/passwords in production rather than as command-line options)...

forever start --spinSleepTime 10000 \
/usr/local/bin/tiddlywiki /home/jbaty/apps/wiki/batywiki \
--listen "readers=(anon)" writers=jack username=notmyusername
password=thisisnotmyrealpassword

Also note that I'm using "forever" to keep things running. You can just use
"tiddlywiki ..." instead. Hope that helps.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/8b2a21a6-c497-44fc-8d01-d835be8354d0%40googlegroups.com.