An update:

I am using BOB serve and their login plugin
(https://github.com/OokTech/TW5-Login) to have a go. But don't know what
URL in the widget should I use. Or anything more I need to do to capture
the logged in user's username.

<$set name=LoginState value={{$:/state/OokTech/Login}}>
<$login-widget url='/authenticate' cookieName='token'
localstorageKey='ws-token'/>
</$set>

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/35c53573-5210-4fac-8c43-4bb044cb1d02%40googlegroups.com.