Ok, so I'm pretty sure this on the right track, except...

(right now, I'm totally ignoring the permissions issue.  I just want to get
it running, period, and I'll worry about the rest later.  I'm also not
going to worry about Bob until I get this first part nailed down)

When I follow all the standard instructions to install node.js itself, it
creates all the node related info in a folder called .nvm.  This means that
all the tiddlywiki related files are automatically under
/home/myusername/.nvm/versions/node/v10.15.0/lib/node_modules/tiddlywiki

So running (from putty) "tiddlywiki folderwhereiwanttokeepmyTW --init
server" creates a folder by that name under /home/myusername/public_html
(here's something I have control over, since it'll just create the folder
wherever I happen to have cd'ed in at the moment) and it has just 1 file in
it (tiddlywiki.info) and 1 tiddlers folder with a storylist.tid in it.

Next, I run the "tiddlywiki folderwhereiwanttokeepmyTW --listen port=3000"
(that's another thing, I figured out that godaddy wants everything to
listen on port 3000.  This requires that I put a .htaccess file in
/home/myusername with a "RewriteEngine on" and "RewriteRule (.*)
http://localhost:3000/$1 [P,L]" in it).  It spits out confirmation that
it's serving correctly on port 3000...but then I go to view it and I just
get a 404 page.  Interestingly enough, when I kill the session, the page
changes to a "server is temporarily unavailable to service your request"
message, so it's like *something* is happening *somewhere*.

To take a step back a bit, I installed the standard app.js test script to
my public_html file, ran it using "node app.js", and it worked as expected.

What in the world am I missing?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/e08545ef-8d3e-4b01-9a4d-fa867101dfd1%40googlegroups.com.