Mohammad,

Thanks for making the point. I can just write:

<$list filter="[field:id[$idvar1$]!has[draft.of]limit[1]]"
emptyMessage="''//missing tiddler//''"/>

instead of
<$list filter="[field:id[$idvar1$]!has[draft.of]limit[1]]"/>

Then, <<linkto "non_existent_id">> will render as *missing tiddler *when
the corresponding tiddler does not exist.
However, I don't know how to "handle it as missing tiddler". Do you have
any ideas?

I am aware of Mario's plugin. One of my motivations was not to be forced to
remember titles, aliases or ids. So, you can use a descriptive title (which
you can change without being punished) *to find* the tiddler you want to
link to and then just copy a link to that tiddler with a click of a button.
Big advantage is that you do not have to enter aliases or ids by hand: *one*
click of button creates a very *readable and informative* id (in terms of
wikitext readability) *and* copies a link. Moreover, you do not have to
create ids for every single tiddler. You just need ids for those tiddlers
you want to create *direct* links to. So, you naturally create an id once
you want to link to it. At that moment, tiddler title is already set and
plays its descriptive role, which you can make use of by *one* click of a
button.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/0eb8bb29-a0a6-482c-982a-375f6a0264ee%40googlegroups.com.