David,

I did this some time ago, with the help from others. I am not sure If I
have captured all the instructions, so please let me know so I can update
my records.

Add the following to stylesheet tiddler

.tc-editor-toolbar button { background: orange;
}

.tc-editor-toolbar {
  position:sticky;
  position: -webkit-sticky;
  position: sticky;
  top: 30px; /* distance to stick from top, e.g if you use top bar */
  left:0;
  width:100%;
  font-size:.90em;
  padding:0;
  border:5px solid transparent;
  background: white;
  z-index: 100;
}

This may be all that is needed. Note I coloured the Editor toolbar
Increase or reduce top to match any headers or above story you are using
This x-index has being adjusted to work over the top of code mirror editor
lines as well

I am not sure it is perfect, but it is close.

Regards
Tony

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/67e1fc20-97a5-4914-b971-44a675b1d2de%40googlegroups.com.