Ah, I clearly need to explain better.

I have parent tiddlers: A, B, C, D, etc. each tagged "parent"

I have child tiddlers: A1, B1, C2, D2, etc. (they are not tagged "child",
but are tagged with the name of the parent tiddler

I need to have a template to manage the presentation of child tiddlers, but
don't know how to write a filter that will capture any tiddler that is a
child of any of the parent tiddlers, without specifying or knowing the name
of the parent tiddlers.

So neither Xavier's nor Mat's approach works because I don't know the name
of the parent tiddler, and there is nothing about the tiddlers other than
the fact that each is tagged to a tiddler that is tagged "parent"...

<$list filter="[is[current] (tagged to  a tiddler that is a parent) ]]">

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/4f17b339-bd62-45f5-83d5-900e4134a80b%40googlegroups.com.