Are we talking about modeling relationships, or about portraying them?

Relational databases can model just about anything with a regular, defined
structure. And TW, in turn, can model anything in a relational database,
albeit without the tools that prevent conflicts that real relational
databases have. So it requires discipline. But you may have to abandon hope
of doing it with just tags, and simple models where everything you need to
know about Joe (marriages, encounters, offspring, etc.) is contained in a
single tiddler.

In a relational database I might start with a table of individuals. Then I
might have a table of biological mates that pair the two. Each pairing has
a unique id. Then another table of marriages. Each pairing has a unique
id.  In the individuals table, there might be a field to indicate a link to
which biological pairing represents parentage, and another to indicate
which marriage represents parentage. Actually at this point I might check
out if someone has already produced a data structure, rather than have to
think of every possible situation myself. But you can see that already you
can quickly locate biological and acknowledged sibling pairings.

With the right structure, you should be able to produce lists of whatever
relationships you want to know about.

Portraying the relationships graphically is a different matter, since the
existing graphing technologies use their own idiosyncratic relationship
structure. It might be that, after creating the relationship data for
physical representations, you have to then run a process that produces the
data (in separate tiddlers) for the graphical representation. Assuming that
tmap or whatever you use is up to the job.

-- Mark

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/7f97fa7c-09a1-4db2-9097-df66d27b73f9%40googlegroups.com.