Hi Mario,
Many thanks for your posts.
I will be disabling autosave for short periods of intensive editing.

I often have the side pane showing the "Open" or "Recent" tab. I should
make a point to remember to use a static tab instead although I don't see
much improvement if I do so.

In terms of plugins, I don't use a lot; basically TiddlyMap, mermaid and
the supporting plugins for these.

I used to have TiddlyMap always on but then switched to having it disabled
most of the time and enable it only when I need to use it. It seems to slow
things down for me probably because it has to create an id field for each
new tiddler created.

I realise now that I have been disabling TiddlyMap but not the related
plugins  (HotZone & TopStoryView). I will try disabling these as well to
see if things speed up.

Using mermaid involves three pluging that are always enabled.

Thanks again,
H.