Hi Pauline, the problem you describe has happened to others before - and it
was because they used the wrong steps. Could you describe each step in
detail. I'll describe it as it is supposed to be done:

Have your outdated copy on your drive.
Go to the upgrade page.
Drag the file onto the circle or click the circle and select your file.
In the presented checklist, don't touch anything.
...just click Upgrade button
This switches over to the big green Save button, which you also click.
I suggest you save it with another name so it is not confused with any
previous file.

<:-)