So when adding new tiddlers if there is already a tiddler called "New
Tiddler" the new one is "New Tiddler 1".

Is there anyway to do that but with field names? via the button widget? and
possibly tie in inputs that the new field can be populated? ( ex.
"field-1": "", "field-2": "", etc )

I found this in old discussion ( [tw] Possible to create a button to add
incremental field? ) from 5 yrs ago in which Jed Carty offered this code

<$button>New Field
<$action-setfield $field={{!!count}} $value=<<whatevervalueyouwant>>/>
<$action-increment $field='count' $increment=1 $prefix='field-'/>
</$button>

I found that when I took out $value and left blank instead of populating
the count field with "field-#" it will create a new field called 'field-1'
. . . well it was doing it last night not anymore.
<$button>New Field
<$action-setfield $field={{!!count}} $value="" />
<$action-increment $field='count' $increment=1 $prefix='field-'/>
</$button>

Working on project which I want to list participants ( ex. family members
living in a residence during a given date like a Census record ) which
could vary from one to like ten or more. I would like to not add a bunch of
fields that may or may not be used, but have the ability to add as needed.