I would dynamically generate the wiki text to define the button.

You seem to be creatively jumping too far ahead. If ultimately you want to use
cursor selection to highlight something, get a shortcut to copy this and supply
it to timimis command extension then there would be a lot more to do than you
present here.

Can I suggest baby steps where you test your understanding in each step.

Or at a minimum ask for a specific outcome.

For building your original solution is there a reason you have not taken my
recommendation of tiddlydesktop?

Regards
Tony