This idea has nothing to do with empty.html itself, it really applies to
all single-file wikis. All wikis could benefit from this because the core
tiddler is exactly the same in all wikis for each version, no matter which
other plugins are added. The core is just another plugin, that's all.

Unzipping should be very simple in terms of CPU usage, and it should be
linear, or better, because it is just expanding back to the original file
content. The zipping is where the time comes in, but that isn't much more.
TiddlyWiki 5.1.20 takes 70 ms, which is shorter than the minimum resolution
of the human brain (~100 ms), so it would be instantaneous for only one or
two plugins, but we could also handle all gzipped plugins in one operation
instead of one per plugin, which would probably safe some extra space.

We could also add a config tiddler to the wiki which would allow the user
to gzip all installed plugins to save even more space regardless of whether
the plugin has the compress:yes field set, since nothing about the gzip
process would in any way affect the plugins.

We should also add a "gunzip" flag (like safemode flag), which would
decompress it in place and then immediately re-download the file so it
could be edited by hand in an emergency. The file would then be loaded just
like normal and then next time it would save with the contents gzipped
again. This would be sort of like a safemode flag that would allow someone
to edit the compressed plugins by hand if necessary.