Actually, now I wonder if the original code was undertested.

You need a nested list inside the first one:

<$vars realchars="[^\s]+">
<$list filter="[{mas01}splitregexp[\n]join[
]splitregexp[<russ.*?>]butfirst[1]]"
variable=item>
<$list filter="[<item>splitregexp[</russ>]butlast[1]]" variable=item2>
<$text text=<<item2>>/><br/>
</$list>
</$list>
</$vars>

In this example {mas01} refers to a tiddler with your test text.