A Personal, non css expert view.

It may depend on what the css is trying to do.

   - If its supplementary and introducing new class etc.. I think they
   could be organised in smaller independent style sheets in logical
   groupings.
   - However if the key is to overwrite existing CSS ie leveraging the
   Cascading nature of CSS bundle them in a smaller number of stylesheets so
   you can managed where in the cascade they apply see Control Panel > Info >
   Advanced > Stylesheets where the order can be set with drag and drop.
   - Consider list-before or list-after on your stylesheets to assist here.

Personally although I have not published much to the community yet, beyond
support, methods and code fragments in Google Groups. My design practice
always takes account of the possibility of publishing plugins or bundles so
others can reuse my designs. Keeping this in mind tends to guide how I
structure my designs, can it be packaged for reuse in my own wikis, or to
be published for use in others wikis. In this case I would select the css
design that supports distribution and is careful not to have unintentional
side effects.

Regards
Tony