When I tried to change the font settings, suddenly the entire slider became
unusable.

I think the trick is to change two settings in parallel. So that way the
font won't become too big
or small for the line size.

The same for changing the width -- 3 different settings need to change in
lock step. That's what I did
in the quick range widget example.  This works within a given range of
settings. I

With the px, I just manipulated the number and then appended the "px". I
looked at the
thread, but it appears nothing has happened since 2018. So I suspect it's a
temporal orphan.
If the "actions" attribute was added to the widget, then it might not need
any other fix.

Thanks!