Thanks Tony,

Can you list a few pros and cons of the Mail archive over the standard GG
interface from a collaboration point of view, for those of us who've never used
it?

As regards clarification, when I started I'll admit I was thinking more of ways
of leveraging Google Groups to facilitate collaboration on shared goals and
tasks.

Specifically the mechanisms within a thread where everyone participating knows
what the shared goal is but can't quite formalise the process of collaborating
together to achieve it, maybe because the 'tools' aren't part of our vocabulary
yet.

What are those tools and mechanisms? Do collaboration groups have to have
leaders? How can decisions be agreed? What are the practical mechanics of
reaching a group decision? Tasks allocated? How can users vote?

Can workarounds be implemented on Google Groups that allow thread participants
to 'manage a project' collectively?

That was my original interest, but so far the responses are tending towards a
general thumbs down for GG, full stop. Some very good points are being made
about that and they'll be on the Agenda for discussion for sure.

I'm trying to avoid detailed discussion of anything here on this 'information
gathering' thread.

In the meantime there's only 1 day left for submissions here before this
thread closes. There are no wrong answers so please do post your thoughts and
ideas about collaboration and the tools it requires. Many thanks.