Mike,

I have avoided spending on books for a couple of years. I thought I
could learn from the web. Now I have a book - JavaScript the missing
manual [1] - and it is starting to make sense.  The book quickly goes
goes off into extolling the use  of jQuery. I am hedging that this
learning route will be most productive as my knowledge of javascript
and jQuery synchronize in the near future when TW becomes increasingly
jQuery-like.

While considering which javascript book to buy, I spent rather long
time reading another book in the bookshop , Javascript ; the good
parts[2]. I didn't buy it, but a couple of days later thought that I
would return to get it - it was sold out; clearly not a scientific
measure of the quality of the book. Its a thin book, and written in a
really nice tone. My time with it, although brief, gave me an overview
and removed some fear.

[1] http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596515898/
[2]
http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517748/?CMP=AFC-ak_book&ATT=JavaScript%3A+The+Good+Parts