> I'm wondering how to emulate the Download button on TiddlyWiki.com for
> my own TiddlyWiki verticals

We use the following PHP script to force the download dialog:
http://trac.tiddlywiki.org/browser/Trunk/verticals/tiddlywiki.com/empty.download

The actual button is generated with this client-side plugin:
http://trac.tiddlywiki.org/browser/Trunk/verticals/tiddlywiki.com/plugins/DownloadTiddlyWikiPlugin.js

> As a related question, what exactly does the Download button do that
> "Save Page" doesn't? I've heard it's do with browsers saving current
> DOM state instead of the initial page HTML

That's right. I think it's Firefox is doing that, but don't remember
which other browsers were affected as well.

-- F.