Mario,

Wow! That did it! Thanks so much for all your help. I hope to have a
useful macro at the end of it all.

I updated the macro on your site (with some other tweaks), so it won't
crash now (fingers crossed!).

Here is the pertinent bit of code that I klutzed together, following
your suggestion:
                    var itmfound

                    $.each(items, function(i, itm) {
                       itmfound=itm.innerHTML;
                       $("<li>"+itmfound+"</li>").appendTo("#ListTableColumn");

Popping the innerHTML out of that itm object seems to do the trick.
(jQuery must be able to do the same, but I couldn't find the proper
syntax. I would normally use something like $(itm).text(), but that
throws an error.)

I'm off and running, thanks to your help. I'll upload the final
product when it's done, which shouldn't take too long now, with all
the debugging tips you have given me.

Best,

Bill