As many are no doubt aware, open source projects have, in the last few
years, been moving in droves from centralized code repositories, such
as subversion, to distributed systems such as git, mercurial and
others.

TiddlyWeb and TiddlySpace code has been kept on http://github.com/ This has proven to be a success. The increased visibility,
accessibility and sociability has led to a broad spectrum of
interested and contributing parties.

Git's more flexible and easier branch management has also made it
possible to experiment with alternate functionality with less fear.

Therefore, barring substantial objections from the community, we'd
like to move the management of the core TiddlyWiki code from
http://svn.tiddlywiki.org/ to a to be determined location on GitHub.

To make that happen we'll need to resolve some details here. I've
started a list of questions below, please add your own as well as your
response, as you think of them. Where possible I provide a proposal as
a starting point.

The proposal is based on the idea that the web works. All stuff
doesn't need to be in the same place, because if things have URIs then
they can be anywhere on the web.

There's no timeline for this yet. It depends on how much or little
feedback there is. The feedback will ensure that this process a)
happens, b) happens correctly.

! The Questions

1. The TiddlyWiki svn repo is full of all kinds of stuff. What portion
is to be moved? What happens to those parts that are not moved? Of
those pieces that move, will they all go to the same place? Will
history be moved?

Proposal:

The existing svn repo will be frozen in a read only state. Individuals
with code there are welcome to migrate their own stuff wherever they
like. TiddlyWiki core components will move to one user on github, with
potentially several repositories, but at last one which is what would
be considered _the_ core. History for those components will not be
migrated.

The top of the svn repo will be annotated with information such that
visitors will be able to determine that a migration has happened.

The large number of contributors in
http://svn.tiddlywiki.org/Trunk/contributors/ will be responsible for
migrating (if they desire) their own stuff. Given that it is now easy
to find free hosting for code in multiple places on the internet this
is not considered onerous. If you are one of those contributors and
you are concerned, please speak out.

2. What about trac and tickets?

Proposal:

trac and the tickets therein will also be frozen in a read only state.
tickets will _not_ be migrated. The goal here is to get rid of stale
tickets and the most straightforward way to do that is to let
important tickets be recreated, in the github issues system[1].

3. What about www.tiddlywiki.org (the wiki)?

This will be handled in a separate message to the TiddlyWiki group.
The gist is to drop mediawiki in favor of using TiddlySpace to host
the content in a TiddlyWiki.

[1] This is still very open for debate as there's some concern that
github issues system is not up to the task. This has not been my
experience, in fact I rather like it. Actually, just to be clear,
everything is very open for debate.

--
Chris Dent                                   http://burningchrome.com/
                                [...]