On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 11:23:36 AM UTC-6, Evan Balster wrote:

> Explaining the use-case is pretty simple:  Most users of TiddlyWiki are
> looking at markup and start off thinking linearly rather than in terms of
> widget trees.  Requiring them to grok the internal architecture puts limits
> on TiddlyWiki's learnability.  For my part, I stumbled a lot while trying
> to learn macro, widget and variable usage — and that's with many years of
> programming under my belt.

Oh boy.  Been there, got the burns ;)

> Anyway, "lateral variables" aren't architecturally elegant because they're
> trying to emulate a programming style other than the stateless functional
> one TiddlyWiki is designed around.  But the design would allow TiddlyWiki
> to at least *pretend* the syntax is evaluated start-to-finish while
> retaining its nested model.

okay...

> Wouldn't the effect be (in essence) ancestral scope with annoying gotchas
>> because of the lateral point at which the variable was defined?  Sounds
>> messy and error prone.
>>

> The crucial difference is that a lateral variable propagates to ancestors
> in the widget tree, but it's only visible after the point where it is
> defined.

and by "after" you mean "younger siblings"?  i.e. look up (ancestor) and to
the left (older sibs)

> What about tiddlers not in the river?  What about wikis without (that
>> don't use) a river?
>>

> A more consistent scoping rule could be to prevent transcluded text from
> propagating into the transcluder.

Are you saying to prevent the transclusion from polluting the transcluder
with its definitions?  Not sure about that...

> As you wrote variables are "child scoped" therefore I think they are
>> already lateral, as soon, as they are defined at least one step further up
>> in the hirarchy.
>>

> Defining variables in the pragma section isn't conducive to a
> notebook-style workflow, because it takes them out of the context of notes.

note*writing*.  Agreed.  I think I'm getting this better now.

>   Defining them as open/close tags is bothersome and unintuitive because
> of the need to maintain ordered closing tags and respect HTML scope as well
> as the scope of the variables themselves within the tiddler.

+1

> These things said, lateral variables might not be necessary if there's a
> way to assign a variable at the pragma scope from an arbitrary location.

Wouldn't THAT be nice... But Santa's already left for another year  :(

;)

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywikidev/07b7f04e-072b-4324-9551-dfe7df2d24f8%40googlegroups.com.