Sounds like the real fix is to pay attention to the failure to bind with the
local port. I know that it displays a warning message. I do not know if it
returns an error code that is easy to capture. Instead of using an external
SSH, a solution could be to use the libssh library like is used by the KDE
project. That is one way we could ensure we caught the result of the bind
port call...