On 2/16/11 10:03 AM, Adam Tkac wrote:
>> (1) When Xvnc is built with build-xorg, add
>> --with-dri-driver-path=../lib/dri to the Xorg configure options
>
> That makes sence but you need to use ../lib64/dri on 64bit Linux.
>
> Another solution, as I wrote on
> http://www.mail-archive.com/tigervnc-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg01083.html
> is to use -dridir parameter.
>
> Both solutions are fine from my point of view.

I think -dridir is the better solution.  It occurred to me that hard
coding a relative path into Xvnc is a bit of a security risk.  I've
ported the Xorg 7.5 patches for -dridir and -xkbcompdir to Xorg 7.4
(unfortunately, I am still unable to build Xorg 7.5 on RHEL 4 or 5.  I
think it's an autotools incompatibility, but I haven't had a chance to
dig into it.)

What I did was build a new version of the binaries that hard codes the
DRI path as /opt/TigerVNC/lib/dri, then if a user chooses to install the
binary tarball into a directory other than /opt/TigerVNC, they can
override the DRI path at run time using the -dridir option when starting
vncserver (or simply modify vncserver to do that for them.)

I didn't think it a good idea for vncserver to look for the DRI library
and set -dridir automatically, because -dridir isn't available except in
our patched X server.  Also, there isn't a good way to find the DRI
driver path generically.  Red Hat-based systems use lib64 to hold 64-bit
libraries and lib to hold 32-bit libraries.  Debian-based systems use
lib for the "native" architecture and lib32 for 32-bit compatibility
libraries on 64-bit systems.  vncserver doesn't have a good way of
ascertaining the conventions of the platform it is on, nor of
determining the architecture of Xvnc.  Thus, best to leave that as an
"exercise for the user."  Distributors are not going to want to use
-dridir anyhow, because they will have hard coded the DRI path into Xvnc
when they built it.

The new build is here:
http://www.virtualgl.org/DeveloperInfo/TigerVNCPreReleases