On 7/13/11 3:49 AM, Pierre Ossman wrote:
>> This is not only
>> disruptive but possibly even violates the fundamental nature of the RFB
>> protocol,
>
> What makes you say that? The protocol doesn't mention anything about
> update rates, only that each update should represent a full screen
> change. So having one client updating at 30 Hz and one at 10 Hz should
> not be an issue. It's just that the second client will see the
> aggregate of three changes (from the first's point of view).

"The update protocol is demand-driven by the client. That is, an update
is only sent from the server to the client in response to an explicit
request from the client." -- RFB Protocol Spec, p. 4.  In other words,
the protocol is specified as a "client pull" protocol, and technically
we would be breaking that spec by making it server push.  I'm OK with
that.  We just have to understand the ramifications for compatibility.
I think it's easy to make the client support both approaches, but
probably not the server.