On 8/22/11 7:36 AM, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> AFAICT libtool used -fPIC by default for the convenience stuff (i.e.
> noinst_*). I initially intended to add a knob for it, but I changed my
> mind as PIC is basically harmless on x86_64 (AFAIK). In other words,
> since the stuff I committed should do the right thing<tm> in every case
> anyway, why would we need a setting for it?

I went ahead and moved the PIC stuff up a level to common/CMakeLists.txt
to avoid duplication of code and the potential for mistakes, should we
need to change the logic under which -fPIC is added.

One question:  your comment suggested that adding PIC affects
performance, which is why it isn't enabled for 64-bit.  In what way does
it affect performance?  Is it significant enough to matter?  Didn't
autotools also enable PIC code for 32-bit?  The distinction seems rather
artificial.  My "official" builds always enable PIC, so for my purposes,
adding or not adding it within CMake is irrelevant, but I just want to
simplify the build script as much as possible.