On 10/6/11 4:48 AM, Peter Åstrand wrote:
> Yes, but what is the problem with WinVNC? Nevermind, I looked back at
> the discussions myself. It's the problem with IActiveDesktop missing
> from the MinGW distro.
>
> IMHO, this is not unsolvable. If MinGW still refuses to add support for
> this, we should be able to include the missing definitions in the
> TigerVNC code base.

It's not just missing definitions.  The patch you guys tried to commit
upstream didn't work, because it did not include support for
IActiveDesktop in the actual link libraries.  AFAIK, including such
support would require back-engineering the Windows libs, which is why
MinGW rejected the idea.

> Here's an offer: If we fix so that WinVNC can be built with a standard
> MinGW distribution, can we then remove support for Visual Studio?

Assuming you could fix WinVNC in its current incarnation, my main
concern would still be that you would be painting me into a corner,
whereby I couldn't use any other advanced functionality if I needed it
in the future.  Plus, I think it's probably a moot point, because I'm
doubtful that anyone can make WinVNC work with MinGW, even in its
current incarnation.

One alternative might be to set up a separate CMake project for WinVNC
under win/.  Then we'd only have to worry about VStudio support for the
portions of the common libs that it depends on, which would of course
not include FLTK or most of the other stuff that Cendio most often
touches.  Someone has already proposed separating librfb into "client"
and "server" flavors, which would reduce the dependencies even further.
 WinVNC could be completely self-contained, with its own separate
installer, etc., and all of the MSVC logic could be moved out of the
main build system and into this sub-project.  Given that solution, I
would be fine with requiring MinGW to build VNCViewer.