Just FYI-- I looked at this briefly, and from what I can tell, what you
really want to be doing is linking against Xft, not against fontconfig.
 Also, I think you only want to link against it when building the Unix
viewer, not the other versions (pretty sure the patch below would cause
a Windows build, for instance, to fail.)

I think it may be an issue with the main CMakeLists.txt that occurs when
building against the in-tree version of FLTK.  It doesn't appear to be
explicitly linking with Xft and other libraries in that case.  Since I
can't repro the original issue, I can't really say what the right fix
is.  I'm just throwing ideas out there.