On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 7:09 AM, DRC <dcomman...@users.sourceforge.net>wrote:

> On 1/17/14 5:17 AM, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> > As far as the code is concerned, both. The protocol still mandates
> > support, hence the simple colour cube to support such clients (of
> > which I expect few).
>
> Let me rephrase.  Currently, when does that aspect of the protocol get
> invoked?  My understanding (which may be incorrect) is that it's a relic
> of clients that don't have the ability to do pixel format conversion, so
> it would only come into play if the client was forced to use a
> PseudoColor visual and couldn't convert, thus requiring the server to do
> the conversion.  It's been a while since I dealt with this stuff, so I'm
> probably getting something wrong.

I know of at least one major commercial EDA application which requires that
the server support 8-bit PseudoColor visuals, and a small subset of my
users are on a WAN and run Xvnc in 8bpp palette mode specifically for this
application.  It's possible to use 8bpp direct color on the client (when
the server is 8bpp ColourMap) but the colors are generally not approximated
correctly.