Today's Topics:

  1. How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps? (David Kirkby)
  2. Re: How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps?
     (John Ackermann N8UR)
  3. Re: How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps? (Javier)
  4. Re: How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps?
     (Brooke Clarke)
  5. Re: How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps?
     (Tom Van Baak)
6. Re: How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps? (Poul-Henning Kamp)
  7. Axiom Sandpiper II (Mike Feher)
  8. Re: How do I measure oscillator frequency using 1pps?
     (Bill Janssen)

I'd suggest you look at my "Timing for VLBI" tutorial at http://gpstime.com -- specifically fetch the latest 2005 version.

Also if you need to get a 10 MHz oscillator to make 1PPS pulses, I highly recommend the simple PIC-based divider developed by Tom Van Baak; I can't find it on Tom's leapsecond.com any more, but Brooks Shera has it at http://www.rt66.com/~shera/ppsdiv.zip <http://www.rt66.com/%7Eshera/ppsdiv.zip>. [Tom -- can you post where the master copy now resides?]

Finally, if you want more "why" detail, I recommend that everyone MUST have a copy of the old HP application note #1289, "the Science of Timekeeping" (of course the relevant divisions at HP are now part of Agilent). If you don't have a copy, I've posted it at http://mysite.verizon.net/w3iwi/hpan1289.pdf. Also at that site is HP's 1272 document "GPS and Precision Timing Applications" at http://mysite.verizon.net/w3iwi/hpan1272.pdf.

Tom Clark