At 12:49 PM +0200 9/16/05, Stephan Sandenbergh wrote:
I wondered if anyone could help me with an interfacing problem? I guess
that it is a trivial question to those that know, but I am rather
puzzled by it.

My very stable OCXO output a 8dBm (50ohm) sine wave. How is this signal
converted/interfaced to a logic standard (e.g. LVDS)? I can imagine that
the sine wave must be squared off using a fast comparator and then fed
through to a logic driver. Are there any integrated IC's out there that
does this? It would be rather sad to sustain substantial phase noise
degradation due to a floating comparator threshold and limited slew
rate.

Regards,

Stephan Sandenbergh

Stephan,

Hi. I had to build such a circuit a couple years ago, and used a bit of overkill...

First, I sent the 10 MHz signal through a two-section LC bandpass filter to remove any externally-generated noise. Then I detected the zero crossing with an AD8561 fast comparator chip. This circuit is tuned to 10 MHz.

Schematic here:
http://www.nixiebunny.com/FBEPP-A.pdf

--

--David Forbes, Tucson, AZ