Hi Brooke,

Metric screws are spec'd by major diameter, and the number of mm between
the peaks of the threads.  English are spec'd by diameter, and the
number of threads per inch.

A 40TPI screw corresponds to a (1/40) * 25.4 = 0.635 mm pitch.  There
are standard metric pitches of 0.4, 0.45, 0.5, 0.6, 0.7, 0.8, and 1.0 mm.

What you are seeing is probably an M3-0.5, M3-0.6, or an M4-0.7 screw.

-Chuck Harris