Hi Neville,

I use USB-Serial converters. Brand is"Sweex", there is a common USB2serial chip inside. There was no need to modify anything (pull up resistors or what so ever).

First I had communication, but from time to time strange behaviour. It made me think the Thunderbolt was faulty... I reported this to the Time-nust list. Someone suggested to update the driver , to the latest version. For me it worked out! It's working fine ever since.

In you case you might do the following things:
* connect a scope to the RS-232 pins to check the logic levels.
* use the USB converter with another PC, maybe the USB port cannot supply the current needed (or use a USB-HUB with power supply in series).

Good luck!

73 Jeroen PE1RGE

Neville Michie wrote:
Hi,
I have just spent a week or two trying to talk to a Trimble Thunderbolt.
I have a laptop running VISTA, about which there is little to say.
The laptop has no serial ports, but I have some USB/Serial converters that successfully run my HP 3815A and a Samsung GCRU/D, and also communicate with my HOBO loggers. The USB/Serial converters are a little difficult to use, sometimes hanging, necessitating unplugging and plugging back in. They get assigned to various Port numbers but tend to keep the same number from day to day. The ports can be configured in the management function. However the TBOLT refuses to talk to the converter, to the extent that I thought that I must have
damaged the TBOLT.
Today, as a last resort, I remembered an old PC, dragged it out and stoked it up, and to my delight the TBOLT monitoring program ran without difficulty under Windows 2000 with a conventional serial port. Now I vaguely remember talk about RS232 communications and the need for pull up or down resistors and supplies, but searching the archives I could find nothing relevant.
Can anyone tell me how I could run the TBOLT off a USB/Serial converter?
cheers, Neville Michie

begin:vcard
fn:Jeroen Bastemeijer
n:Bastemeijer;Jeroen
org:Delft University of Technology;Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory
adr:GPS: Lat N52.00002 Lon E4.37157 Alt. 46.2m;;Mekelweg 4;Delft;;2628CD;Netherlands
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Ing.
tel;work:+31.15.278.6542
tel;fax:+31.15.278.5755