Demain,
I too bought a couple of that same model but it will be about a week before I have receive them.

Did you see that data sheet that Bruce linked to? http://www.freewebs.com/beststuff2u/MFS-207.pdf
From what I understood of the distribution modules (MBF), each module had 4
different outputs, each module a .1, 1, 5, 10 MHz.
Most of the standards that same seller had appeared to be 5 MHz out so I expected a 5 meg input. That same data sheet states under MBF options that most of the modules are 5/10 MHz input but two were dedicated 5 or 10 meg only. Perhaps we got the 5 meg only ! From what you are saying, each port on the MBF module is outputting the same thing, strictly distribution. That's fine, perhaps they meant the MFT would pass .1 to 10 meg. If that's the case we should still be able to modify the input module. My application is the same as yours, not a "time-nut" application!

I though it worth the gamble for the cheap price.
Phil

----- Original Message ----- From: "Demian Martin" <demian...@yahoo.com>
To: <time-nuts@febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:48 AM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] EFRATOM MFTD-AC4 FREQUENCY REFERENCE DISTRIBUTIONAMP - update

I received the unit. The shipping and packing was very good- no peanuts!

The one I got was different from what I expected. It's a 5 MHz unit with 20 outputs. More than I could conceivably need. I looked inside. The supply is
actually 25V. The input module has an FPGA for some reason, probably to
communicate fault back to a host. The signal is distributed as a low level
square wave on the backplane and amplified through a high gain tuned amp
before going to the output amps. The outputs are all monitored.

I need to figure out the tuned circuit so I can retune it. Would the
performance be better if I bypass the input module and drive the output
modules with a sine wave? I'm using it as a reference for some
not-too-sophisticated counters and generators so the phase noise will be
much better than those could benefit from regardless.

Demian Martin
PDS

Message: 2