It occurs to me that there is a possible alternative to the ZCD-chain approach typical in DMTDs, if one is willing to provide two mixers and two ADCs per channel, with a 90 degree phase offset between LO signals provided to the mixers of a channel. The output of the four ADCs will be a pair of I+Q signals, one pair per DMTD channel.

The key observation is that if one has two signals, one being a time delayed replica of the other, if one multiplies one signal by the complex complement of the other signal, the result is Exp[j(phase difference)]. This is true whatever the waveform of the signal, so long as the only difference in signals is a delay. The mathematical argument function of this exponential is the desired phase.

In practice, one will sample far faster than 1 Hz, say 1 MHz, and will heavily average the resulting stream of products.

Now I have not gone through the math to estimate performance compared to the traditional ZCD approach, but the complex multiply and average approach should be quite robust against noise, and is easily implemented in a DSP or FPGA.

Joe Gwinn