My 1992 has a similarly ugly reference output - until I terminate it. Then it's a fairly nice square wave between 0 and 1 volt. Rise & fall times are in the range of 5 ns. The manual doesn't state what the wave shape is, only that it's > 600 mVp-p into 50 ohms. I have a brochure that says "TTL levels giving approx. 1Vp-p into 50 ohms". My phase measurements also have a similar amount of 'noise' to yours.

Which timebase does yours have? I've got option 4E (similar to 4B). Although the timebase appears to be stable, I've noticed that the counter drifts about 5e-9 during warmup, even when the oscillator has been on standby for many days. It takes a couple of hours to settle down. Does yours do anything similar?

Ed

John Green wrote:
Just acquired a used 1992 off eBay. Excellent, almost like new with manual
and even spare fuses. I noticed that the internal reference's waveform is
more like a nasty sawtooth than a nice sine wave. Is that normal? Also, when
I hook my GPSDO through a two way splitter and two different length cables
and measure phase, I get a +\- 3 LSD ambiguity. Is that about right?