Greetings,

We get a fair bit of lightning here in Texas. I'm a transplant from nearly lightning free California, so I had to go thru an expensive period of education. A couple quick thoughts:

Nothing will save you from a direct strike. At least nothing you can likely afford. You're more likely to get clobbered by a surge from the grid, or induced voltage from a nearby strike.

Use the "box method". Draw a diagram of your equipment, then draw a large box around it. Any wire that enters or leaves the box requires some kind of protection device. In the case of a GPS antenna, likely a relatively expensive gas discharge tube bonded to a properly installed ground rod by a short length of heavy copper braid.

That said, I still can't bring myself to leave my HF radio gear connected to an antenna all the time. I unplug mine when not in use and place the lead in a stoneware jar on the floor of my garage.

Rob
KC6OOM/5