saying angrily "using a GPS on a
plane is illegal".

Nonsense...unless their own rules prohibit such use, in which case you are legally obliged to comply. There is no blanket (ie: government) rule against them.

It is up to the airline; in the past year I've flown a number of different airlines. Some said in their in-flight magazine that GPS use was allowed, others said it wasn't, and some didn't say anything at all.

For example, Southwest airlines specifically allows the use of GPS units:

http://www.spiritmag.com/flightservices/flight-services.pdf

US Airways implies they're OK, but is not explicit:

http://www.usairwaysmag.com/inflight_information/passenger_information/

Either Jetblue or United prohibit GPS', but I cannot find anything on their websites (they are the other two airlines I've recently flown, so it's one of them where I saw the prohibition).

No rhyme or reason to it at all.

Tom Frank, KA2CDK
(frequent flyer...and gadget user)